Lapwing Lodge is owned and run by West Region Scout Council. We are a self funded, volunteer run Campsite and Hostel.
Lapwing Lodge is not limited to Scout Association use; we are open to all youth organisations, community groups and corporate bookings.
Lapwing Lodge History (Peesweep)
Lapwing Lodge started Life as a Sanatorium for Coats Mill workers in 1910. At this time the veranda was open to the elements for the patients to be wheeled out into the fresh air to recover (fresh air was the only help until we got penicillin). It remained in their ownership until 1955.
In 1959 it was offered to Paisley Burgh and Renfrew County Council, but rejected, after which the building deteriorated. Ownership changed again this time to the Red Cross in 1960 and Paisley Scouts used the grounds for camping.
In 1968 Renfrewshire County Scout Council negotiated a 20 year lease from The Health Board. In 1988 Renfrew and Inverclyde Regional Scout Council bought Peesweep from Renfrew District Council, and started to improve the deteriorated building and add to the accommodation and site.
The name was changed in 1983 from Peesweep to Lapwing Lodge.
We have a full time Warden and volunteer Camp Staff who help to run the weekends and the activities.
Could you volunteer? Click here to get involved!